|Where are we?||Service Times||Who are we?|
|Contact us||Regular Activities||Forthcoming Events|
|Hire the Hall||Newsletter||Village Website|
METHODIST CHURCH CHANGES
After 139 years of Methodist Ministry in our Chapel in West Bergholt, and after much prayer and discussion among our members, a decision was made to cease Sunday worship at the end of August. With an ageing congregation and numbers falling we have sadly decided that it is no longer reasonable to continue regular Sunday morning services. The Colchester Circuit will be marketing the site for sale from September. We will continue our activities in the hall, as part of our outreach in the village, for as long as we are able.
However, we are starting a new venture a mid-week worship activity on the first Wednesday of each month. This will take place at 11.00 in our Church Hall, Chapel Lane. The first of these was on September 5th and the next will be on October 3rd, both led by our Minster, Rev Ken Chalmers. All are welcome to join us and try out this new approach.
We have been accepted as a class of Mile End Methodist Church and look forward to sharing worship there. This will enable us to retain our identity as West Bergholt Methodists and keep our local fellowship together. As a worshipping community we have been attending other Methodist churches in the Circuit on a Sunday morning. This will continue from September, principally to Mile End, and transport will be available. Details from Judith (01206 241969) or Andrew (01206 242511).
Where are we?
West Bergholt Methodist Church, 73 Chapel Road, West Bergholt, Colchester,
There will no longer be services in our Methodist Chapel in West Bergholt on Sunday mornings. Sunday morning services will take place at Mile End Methodist Church at 10-30am. Transport will be available, leaving the village at 10.00am. If you would like a lift please contact Judith (01206 241969) or Andrew (01206 242511).
We are starting a new venture; a mid-week worship activity on the first Wednesday of each month. These will take place at 11.00am in our Church Hall, Chapel Lane led by our Minster, Rev Ken Chalmers. All are welcome to join us and try out this new approach.
Who are we?
We are a group of Christians from different backgrounds, meeting to share in worship, learning, fellowship and service to others.
We are in a growing village (population circa 3,500), popular with commuters (nearness to North Station) but distinct from Colchester, being separated by A12. The church is situated in the centre of the village. Sunday morning services are traditional in format, together with a quarterly joint ecumenical service with two local Parish Churches.
The present church building was built in 1879 but there has been a Methodist presence in the village even longer. Membership is eleven with some 30/40 on the community roll. A largely elderly congregation, but the small band of worshippers has a significant profile within the community through a variety of well supported regular activities.
- Minister – Rev Ken Chalmers – 01206 545253 – email@example.com
- Senior Steward – Mrs Judith Fletcher – 01206 241969
- Link Newsletter – Mr Andrew Wilks – 01206 242511 – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hall Bookings – Mr David Kay – 01206 243574
- There will no longer be services in our Methodist Chapel in West Bergholt on Sunday mornings. Sunday morning services will take place at Mile End Methodist Church at 10-30am. Transport will be available, leaving the village at 10.00am. If you would like a lift please contact Judith (01206 241969) or Andrew (01206 242511).
- Our Fellowship Group meets monthly on the 3rd Wednesday at 2.30pm in our Hall, Chapel Lane, CO6 3EF. There is an annual program of a variety of invited speakers and activities. All are welcome.
- We hold monthly Coffee Mornings in our Hall on the 2nd Wednesday of each month from 10.00 to 11.30. Coffee or tea and a biscuit 50p. There are homemade cakes, bric-a-brac and card stalls. All are welcome for a relaxing social occasion.
- There are Coffee & Craft mornings for young families during the school holidays. These take place on Monday mornings in our Hall, Chapel Lane, CO6 3EF, from 10.30 to 12.00. Charge of £2-50 per family. Coffee and cakes for parents and children included. Six different craft activities on a theme for the morning. Closes with Bible story linked to theme.
- There are Silver Sunday Afternoon Teas on occasional Sunday afternoons from 3.00 in our Hall, Chapel Lane, CO6 3EF, supported by the local Scout group. Aimed at elderly members of community, particularly those who are lonely and isolated. We have worked with local Churches, Care Network, Parish Council, Essex Community Agents , Colchester Borough Homes and Age UK to try and reach target audience but still feel there are more we could reach out to if we could make contact.
- Our new Bible Study Book Club meets every third Wednesday of the month at 10:30 am in our hall. All are welcome.
- Mid-week Worship.
Wednesday 6th February at 11:00am in the Church Hall.
- Coffee Morning
The next Coffee Morning will be on Wednesday 13th February from 10:00am – 11:30am in the Church Hall.
- Coffee and Crafts
This will take place in the Church Hall from 10.30am – 12.00am on Monday February 18th. For further details phone Andrew (01206 242511) – ALL WELCOME.
- Bible Study Book Club
Our Bible Study book club meets on the third Wednesday of each month at 10.45am in the Church Hall; the next meeting will be on February 20th.
The next Fellowship group meeting will be at 2.30pm in the Church Hall on Wednesday February 20th when the speaker will be Mrs Rachel Allen who will speak on growing up in Guernsey.
- Women’s World Day of Prayer
This will take place on Friday 1st March at St Mary’s Church at 12 noon. Everything is ready and the invitation is for everyone – men, women and children of all ages to join this Day of Prayer. Women of Slovenia, one of the smallest and youngest countries in Europe, have prepared this year’s service and they encourage us to reflect on the barriers they have faced since the end of the Second World War when their country was a part of Yugoslavia, a Marxist socialist republic. They share the challenges they have met and the hopes they have for the future.
- Lent Course
St Mary’s are planning to run a 3 Parishes Lent Course on Wednesday evenings at 8pm in the church hall on the following dates: 13th, 20th & 27th March, 3rd & 10th April.
Hire the Hall
Our Methodist Church Hall is a separate building from the Church and is reached from Chapel Lane, CO6 3EF. The Hall is available for hire with kitchen, disabled access and toilets and parking facilities. All enquiries please to Mr David Kay 01206 243574.
Our newsletters are available below.
We also have a page on the village website.