|Where are we?||Service Times||Who are we?|
|Contact us||Regular Activities||Forthcoming Events|
|Hire the Hall||Newsletter||Village Website|
METHODIST CHURCH CHANGES
After 139 years of Methodist Ministry in our Chapel in West Bergholt, and after much prayer and discussion among our members, a decision was made to cease Sunday worship at the end of August. With an ageing congregation and numbers falling we have sadly decided that it is no longer reasonable to continue regular Sunday morning services. The Colchester Circuit will be marketing the site for sale from September. We will continue our activities in the hall, as part of our outreach in the village, for as long as we are able.
However, we are starting a new venture a mid-week worship activity on the first Wednesday of each month. This will take place at 11.00 in our Church Hall, Chapel Lane. The first of these was on September 5th and the next will be on October 3rd, both led by our Minster, Rev Ken Chalmers. All are welcome to join us and try out this new approach.
We have been accepted as a class of Mile End Methodist Church and look forward to sharing worship there. This will enable us to retain our identity as West Bergholt Methodists and keep our local fellowship together. As a worshipping community we have been attending other Methodist churches in the Circuit on a Sunday morning. This will continue from September, principally to Mile End, and transport will be available. Details from Judith (01206 241969) or Andrew (01206 242511).
Where are we?
West Bergholt Methodist Church, 73 Chapel Road, West Bergholt, Colchester,
There will no longer be services in our Methodist Chapel in West Bergholt on Sunday mornings. Sunday morning services will take place at Mile End Methodist Church at 10-30am. Transport will be available, leaving the village at 10.00am. If you would like a lift please contact Judith (01206 241969) or Andrew (01206 242511).
We are starting a new venture; a mid-week worship activity on the first Wednesday of each month. This will take place at 11.00am in our Church Hall, Chapel Lane. The first of these was on September 5th and the next will be on October 3rd, both led by our Minster, Rev Ken Chalmers. All are welcome to join us and try out this new approach.
Who are we?
We are a group of Christians from different backgrounds, meeting to share in worship, learning, fellowship and service to others.
We are in a growing village (population circa 3,500), popular with commuters (nearness to North Station) but distinct from Colchester, being separated by A12. The church is situated in the centre of the village. Sunday morning services are traditional in format, together with a quarterly joint ecumenical service with two local Parish Churches.
The present church building was built in 1879 but there has been a Methodist presence in the village even longer. Membership is eleven with some 30/40 on the community roll. A largely elderly congregation, but the small band of worshippers has a significant profile within the community through a variety of well supported regular activities.
- Minister – Rev Ken Chalmers – 01206 545253 – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Senior Steward – Mrs Judith Fletcher – 01206 241969
- Link Newsletter – Mr Andrew Wilks – 01206 242511 – email@example.com
- Hall Bookings – Mr David Kay – 01206 243574
- There will no longer be services in our Methodist Chapel in West Bergholt on Sunday mornings. Sunday morning services will take place at Mile End Methodist Church at 10-30am. Transport will be available, leaving the village at 10.00am. If you would like a lift please contact Judith (01206 241969) or Andrew (01206 242511).
- Our Fellowship Group meets monthly on the 3rd Wednesday at 2.30pm in our Hall, Chapel Lane, CO6 3EF. There is an annual program of a variety of invited speakers and activities. All are welcome.
- We hold monthly Coffee Mornings in our Hall on the 2nd Wednesday of each month from 10.00 to 11.30. Coffee or tea and a biscuit 50p. There are homemade cakes, bric-a-brac and card stalls. All are welcome for a relaxing social occasion.
- There are Coffee & Craft mornings for young families during the school holidays. These take place on Monday mornings in our Hall, Chapel Lane, CO6 3EF, from 10.30 to 12.00. Charge of £2-50 per family. Coffee and cakes for parents and children included. Six different craft activities on a theme for the morning. Closes with Bible story linked to theme.
- There are Silver Sunday Afternoon Teas on occasional Sunday afternoons from 3.00 in our Hall, Chapel Lane, CO6 3EF, supported by the local Scout group. Aimed at elderly members of community, particularly those who are lonely and isolated. We have worked with local Churches, Care Network, Parish Council, Essex Community Agents , Colchester Borough Homes and Age UK to try and reach target audience but still feel there are more we could reach out to if we could make contact.
- Our new Bible Study Book Club meets every third Wednesday of the month at 10:30 am in our hall. All are welcome.
- Coffee Morning
The next Coffee Morning will be on Weds 14th November from 10:00 – 11:30.
- Bible Study Book Club
Our Bible Study book club meets on the third Wednesday of each month at 10.45 in our hall; the next meeting will be on November 21st.
The next Fellowship group meeting will be at 2.30 in our hall on Wednesday November 21st when there will be a talk on the work of the Royal British Legion.
- Christmas Tree Festival
Saturday/Sunday Dec 1st/ 2nd at Great Horkesley.
- Christmas Coffee Morning
The Christmas Coffee Morning will be on Saturday 1st December at 10:00 – 12:00. There is a warm welcome for you with coffee/tea and mince pies available.We shall be very pleased to receive cakes, preserves, books, jigsaws etc for the stalls and any gifts, however small, to put on the gift table.
- Gift and Parade Service
This will be on Sunday 2nd December at 11:00am.
- Mid-week Worship.
Wednesday 5th December at 11:00am in the Church Hall.
- Coffee and Craft
Friday 21st December in the Church Hall at 10:30 – 12:00
- Carol Singing
Friday 21st December from 6:15pm outside the Co-op.
Hire the Hall
Our Methodist Church Hall is a separate building from the Church and is reached from Chapel Lane, CO6 3EF. The Hall is available for hire with kitchen, disabled access and toilets and parking facilities. All enquiries please to Mr David Kay 01206 243574.
Our newsletters are available below.
We also have a page on the village website.