|Where are we?||Service Times||Who are we?|
|Contact us||Regular Activities||Forthcoming Events|
|Hire the Hall||Newsletter||Village Website|
Where are we?
West Bergholt Methodist Church, 73 Chapel Road, West Bergholt, Colchester,
The pattern of our Sunday worship has changed. Sunday services will only be held on the second and fourth Sunday in the month and only until the end of August. The service on August 26th will be our last Sunday morning service in the Chapel. On Sundays when there is not a service at our church in the village transport will be arranged to a service at another Methodist church within the Colchester Circuit. Please contact Judith, 01206 241969, or Andrew, 01206 242511, if you would like a lift.
All other activities are continuing as usual.
Who are we?
We are a group of Christians from different backgrounds, meeting to share in worship, learning, fellowship and service to others.
We are in a growing village (population circa 3,500), popular with commuters (nearness to North Station) but distinct from Colchester, being separated by A12. The church is situated in the centre of the village. Sunday morning services are traditional in format, together with a quarterly joint ecumenical service with two local Parish Churches.
The present church building was built in 1879 but there has been a Methodist presence in the village even longer. Membership is eleven with some 30/40 on the community roll. A largely elderly congregation, but the small band of worshippers has a significant profile within the community through a variety of well supported regular activities.
- Minister – Rev Ken Chalmers – 01206 545253 – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Senior Steward – Mrs Judith Fletcher – 01206 241969
- Link Newsletter – Mr Andrew Wilks – 01206 242511 – email@example.com
- Hall Bookings – Mr David Kay – 01206 243574
- Starting on April 8th Sunday Services will only be held on the second and fourth Sunday in the month and only until the end of August. The service on August 26th will be our last Sunday morning service in the Chapel. On Sundays when there is not a service at our church in the village transport will be arranged to a service at another Methodist church within the Colchester Circuit. Please contact Judith, 01206 241969, or Andrew, 01206 242511, if you would like a lift.
- Our Fellowship Group meets monthly on the 3rd Wednesday at 2.30pm in our Hall, Chapel Lane, CO6 3EF. There is an annual program of a variety of invited speakers and activities. All are welcome.
- We hold monthly Coffee Mornings in our Hall on the 2nd Wednesday of each month from 10.00 to 11.30. Coffee or tea and a biscuit 50p. There are homemade cakes, bric-a-brac and card stalls. All are welcome for a relaxing social occasion.
- There are Coffee & Craft mornings for young families during the school holidays. These take place on Monday mornings in our Hall, Chapel Lane, CO6 3EF, from 10.30 to 12.00. Charge of £2-50 per family. Coffee and cakes for parents and children included. Six different craft activities on a theme for the morning. Closes with Bible story linked to theme.
- There are Silver Sunday Afternoon Teas on occasional Sunday afternoons from 3.00 in our Hall, Chapel Lane, CO6 3EF, supported by the local Scout group. Aimed at elderly members of community, particularly those who are lonely and isolated. We have worked with local Churches, Care Network, Parish Council, Essex Community Agents , Colchester Borough Homes and Age UK to try and reach target audience but still feel there are more we could reach out to if we could make contact.
- Our new Bible Study Book Club meets every third Wednesday of the month at 10:30 am in our hall. All are welcome.
- Coffee Morning
The next Coffee Morning will be on Weds 8th August from 10:00 – 11:30.
- Bible Study Book Club
There will not be a Bible Study Book Club meeting in August. We will resume in September.
There will not be a Fellowship meeting in August. We will resume in September.
- Coffee and Craft in the Hall on Monday July 30th from 10:30 – 12:00
- Coffee and Craft in the Hall on Monday August 13th from 10:30 – 12:00
- Farewell Celebration
Weekend September 29th – 30th
We are planning a weekend of activities in our Chapel and Hall as a farewell celebration for the 139 years of Methodist service and worship in our Chapel and community, even longer in the village. The Chapel and hall will be opened from 2-6 on both days. There will be a Quiz on Saturday evening. The weekend will finish with a service late Sunday afternoon followed by tea and cake in the hall. Please keep the date and watch for more details nearer the time.
Hire the Hall
Our Methodist Church Hall is a separate building from the Church and is reached from Chapel Lane, CO6 3EF. The Hall is available for hire with kitchen, disabled access and toilets and parking facilities. All enquiries please to Mr David Kay 01206 243574.
Our newsletters are available below.
We also have a page on the village website.