|Where are we?||Service Times||Who are we?|
|Contact us||Regular Activities||Forthcoming Events|
|Hire the Hall||Newsletter||Village Website|
Where are we?
West Bergholt Methodist Church, 73 Chapel Road, West Bergholt, Colchester,
Our services are at 11:00am each Sunday. Details of this weeks service will be on the notice board at the church gates.
Who are we?
We are a group of Christians from different backgrounds, meeting to share in worship, learning, fellowship and service to others.
We are in a growing village (population circa 3,500), popular with commuters (nearness to North Station) but distinct from Colchester, being separated by A12. The church is situated in the centre of the village. Sunday morning services are traditional in format, together with a quarterly joint ecumenical service with two local Parish Churches.
The present church building was built in 1879 but there has been a Methodist presence in the village even longer. Membership is eleven with some 30/40 on the community roll. A largely elderly congregation, but the small band of worshippers has a significant profile within the community through a variety of well supported regular activities.
- Minister – Rev Ken Chalmers – 01206 545253 – email@example.com
- Senior Steward – Mrs Judith Fletcher – 01206 241969
- Link Newsletter – Mr Andrew Wilks – 01206 242511 – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hall Bookings – Mr David Kay – 01206 243574
- Regular Sunday morning services take place at 11.00am. Please check our notice board and/or the monthly Link newsletter for any changes and special services.
- There is a joint mid-week communion on the second Tuesday of each month at 11.00am. This takes place at St. Mary’s, New Church Road.
- Our Fellowship Group meets monthly on the 3rd Wednesday at 2.30pm in our Hall, Chapel Lane, CO6 3EF. There is an annual program of a variety of invited speakers and activities. All are welcome.
- We hold monthly Coffee Mornings in our Hall on the 2nd Wednesday of each month from 10.00 to 11.30. Coffee or tea and a biscuit 50p. There are homemade cakes, bric-a-brac and card stalls. All are welcome for a relaxing social occasion.
- There are Coffee & Craft mornings for young families during the school holidays. These take place on Monday mornings in our Hall, Chapel Lane, CO6 3EF, from 10.30 to 12.00. Charge of £2-50 per family. Coffee and cakes for parents and children included. Six different craft activities on a theme for the morning. Closes with Bible story linked to theme.
- There are Silver Sunday Afternoon Teas on occasional Sunday afternoons from 3.00 in our Hall, Chapel Lane, CO6 3EF, supported by the local Scout group. Aimed at elderly members of community, particularly those who are lonely and isolated. We have worked with local Churches, Care Network, Parish Council, Essex Community Agents , Colchester Borough Homes and Age UK to try and reach target audience but still feel there are more we could reach out to if we could make contact.
- Our new Bible Study Book Club meets every third Wednesday of the month at 10:30 am in our hall. We are currently looking at the Letter of Paul to the Philippians. All are welcome.
Our next meeting will be at 2.30 on Wednesday 21st February. The speaker will be Mr Chris Westren from “Tools with a Mission”. Chris does volunteer work for TWAM and is, incidentally, a Methodist Local Preacher in the Ipswich Circuit.
The charity collect a wide range of donated tools, refurbish and sort them into trade kits and send them to the developing world for livelihood creation. TWAM works with over 400 partners including churches, schools, orphanages, vocational training centres and development charities.
As part of our support for this charity we are looking to collect as many tools etc as we can to donate to their work. If anyone is able to donate any items we would be pleased to receive them. If they can be brought to West Bergholt that would be great. Alternatively contact Andrew (01206 242511) who will see if a collection can be arranged.
- Women’s World day of prayerThis will take place on Friday 2nd March at St Mary’s Church, New Church Road, West Bergholt. Written by the Christian women of Suriname, the theme will be “All God’s creation is very good!” Soup’n Snack Lunch at 12.30pm in St Mary’s Hall, Service at 1.30pm.
ALL ARE WELCOME – Children & gentlemen welcome!
- Coffee and Craft Morning
On Monday February 12th at 10:30 we are holding our Coffee and Craft mornings in the Church Hall providing fun activities for young families (children please bring a parent along)
- Mothering Sunday
On Sunday March 11th at 11:00 there will a Mothering Sunday service in the Church.
- Coffee and Craft Morning
On Monday April 9th at 10:30 we are holding our Coffee and Craft mornings in the Church Hall providing fun activities for young families (children please bring a parent along)
On Saturday April 14th we are holding another of our popular Quiz evenings. All welcome to a Quiz Night at West Bergholt Saturday April 14th, 7pm start. Phone Judith Fletcher on 01206 241969 to book your table – £20 for a four person team, or £5 per person, come along and join a team on the night.
- Christian Aid Week
Christian Aid week is May 13th – 19th. New collectors are always needed for this very worthwhile cause. Contact Mr Paul Elmes on 01206 240906, our village coordinator, if you can help.
Hire the Hall
Our Methodist Church Hall is a separate building from the Church and is reached from Chapel Lane, CO6 3EF. The Hall is available for hire with kitchen, disabled access and toilets and parking facilities. All enquiries please to Mr David Kay 01206 243574.
Our newsletters are available below.
- February 2018
- December 2017 / January 2018
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- July/August 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
We also have a page on the village website.