|Where are we?||Service Times||Who are we?|
|Contact us||Regular Activities||Forthcoming Events|
|Hire the Hall||Newsletter||Village Website|
Where are we?
West Bergholt Methodist Church, 73 Chapel Road, West Bergholt, Colchester,
The pattern of our Sunday worship has changed. Services will only be held on the second and fourth Sunday in the month. On Sundays when there is not a service at our church in the village transport will be arranged to a service at another Methodist church within the Colchester Circuit. Please contact Judith, 01206 241969, or Andrew, 01206 242511, if you would like a lift. Full details of all these services will always be available in ‘The Link’ and on the notice board at the church gates.
All other activities are continuing as usual.
Who are we?
We are a group of Christians from different backgrounds, meeting to share in worship, learning, fellowship and service to others.
We are in a growing village (population circa 3,500), popular with commuters (nearness to North Station) but distinct from Colchester, being separated by A12. The church is situated in the centre of the village. Sunday morning services are traditional in format, together with a quarterly joint ecumenical service with two local Parish Churches.
The present church building was built in 1879 but there has been a Methodist presence in the village even longer. Membership is eleven with some 30/40 on the community roll. A largely elderly congregation, but the small band of worshippers has a significant profile within the community through a variety of well supported regular activities.
- Minister – Rev Ken Chalmers – 01206 545253 – email@example.com
- Senior Steward – Mrs Judith Fletcher – 01206 241969
- Link Newsletter – Mr Andrew Wilks – 01206 242511 – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hall Bookings – Mr David Kay – 01206 243574
- Starting on April 8th Sunday Services will only be held on the second and fourth Sunday in the month. On Sundays when there is not a service at our church in the village transport will be arranged to a service at another Methodist church within the Colchester Circuit. Please contact Judith, 01206 241969, or Andrew, 01206 242511, if you would like a lift. Full details of all these services will always be available in ‘The Link’.
- Our Fellowship Group meets monthly on the 3rd Wednesday at 2.30pm in our Hall, Chapel Lane, CO6 3EF. There is an annual program of a variety of invited speakers and activities. All are welcome.
- We hold monthly Coffee Mornings in our Hall on the 2nd Wednesday of each month from 10.00 to 11.30. Coffee or tea and a biscuit 50p. There are homemade cakes, bric-a-brac and card stalls. All are welcome for a relaxing social occasion.
- There are Coffee & Craft mornings for young families during the school holidays. These take place on Monday mornings in our Hall, Chapel Lane, CO6 3EF, from 10.30 to 12.00. Charge of £2-50 per family. Coffee and cakes for parents and children included. Six different craft activities on a theme for the morning. Closes with Bible story linked to theme.
- There are Silver Sunday Afternoon Teas on occasional Sunday afternoons from 3.00 in our Hall, Chapel Lane, CO6 3EF, supported by the local Scout group. Aimed at elderly members of community, particularly those who are lonely and isolated. We have worked with local Churches, Care Network, Parish Council, Essex Community Agents , Colchester Borough Homes and Age UK to try and reach target audience but still feel there are more we could reach out to if we could make contact.
- Our new Bible Study Book Club meets every third Wednesday of the month at 10:30 am in our hall. We are currently looking at the Paul’s Letters to Timothy. All are welcome.
- Coffee Morning
The next Coffee Morning will be on Weds 9th May at 10:00 – 11:30.
- Bible Study Book Club
The next meeting is on Wednesday 16th May at 10:30 am.
The next meeting is on Wednesday 16th May at 2:30 pm. Our speaker, Mr David
Ablewhite, will give a talk on Queen Victoria and her nine children.
- Christian Aid Week
Christian Aid week is May 13th – 19th. New collectors are always needed for this very worthwhile cause. Contact Mr Paul Elmes on 01206 240906, our village coordinator, if you can help.
- Methodist Homes Sunday
Sunday June 10th
- Action For Children Sponsored Walk
A sponsored walk will take place, starting from our Church Hall, on Saturday June 16th sponsored walk will take place, starting from our Church Hall, on Saturday June 16th at 10.00am. All are welcome to join in the walks (two choices – one or two hours) and sponsorship for the walkers would be welcomed. Please speak to Sylvia Wilks for more details. at 10.00am. All are welcome to join in the walks (two choices – one or two hours) and sponsorship for the walkers would be welcomed. Please speak to Sylvia Wilks for more details.
Hire the Hall
Our Methodist Church Hall is a separate building from the Church and is reached from Chapel Lane, CO6 3EF. The Hall is available for hire with kitchen, disabled access and toilets and parking facilities. All enquiries please to Mr David Kay 01206 243574.
Our newsletters are available below.
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- December 2017 / January 2018
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- July/August 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
We also have a page on the village website.