|Where are we?||Service Times||Who are we?|
|Contact us||Regular Activities||Forthcoming Events|
|Hire the Hall||Newsletter||Village Website|
From 1st September 2019 the Methodist Churches at Mile End, Boxted and West Bergholt have amalgamated to form The Well Methodist Church. They will be worshipping together at the former Mile End church building, whilst they pursue the vision of a new church plant in the nearby Chesterwell neighbourhood centre.
For more Information please see The Well Methodist Church page.
METHODIST CHURCH CHANGES
After 139 years of Methodist Ministry in our Chapel in West Bergholt, and after much prayer and discussion among our members, a decision was made to cease Sunday worship at the end of August 2018. With an ageing congregation and numbers falling we have sadly decided that it is no longer reasonable to continue regular Sunday morning services. The Colchester Circuit will be marketing the site for sale from September. We will continue our activities in the hall, as part of our outreach in the village, for as long as we are able.
However, we are starting a new venture a mid-week worship activity on the first Wednesday of each month. This will take place at 11.00 in our Church Hall, Chapel Lane. The first of these was on September 5th 2018 led by our Minster, Rev Ken Chalmers. All are welcome to join us and try out this new approach.
We have been accepted as a class of Mile End Methodist Church and look forward to sharing worship there. This will enable us to retain our identity as West Bergholt Methodists and keep our local fellowship together. As a worshipping community we have been attending other Methodist churches in the Circuit on a Sunday morning. This will continue from September 2018, principally to Mile End, and transport will be available. Details from Judith (01206 241969) or Andrew (01206 242511).
Where are we?
West Bergholt Methodist Church, 73 Chapel Road, West Bergholt, Colchester,
There will no longer be services in our Methodist Chapel in West Bergholt on Sunday mornings. Sunday morning services will take place at Mile End Methodist Church at 10-30am. Transport will be available, leaving the village at 10.00am. If you would like a lift please contact Judith (01206 241969) or Andrew (01206 242511).
We are starting a new venture; a mid-week worship activity on the first Wednesday of each month. These will take place at 11.00am in our Church Hall, Chapel Lane led by our Minster, Rev Ken Chalmers. All are welcome to join us and try out this new approach.
Who are we?
We are a group of Christians from different backgrounds, meeting to share in worship, learning, fellowship and service to others.
We are in a growing village (population circa 3,500), popular with commuters (nearness to North Station) but distinct from Colchester, being separated by A12. The church is situated in the centre of the village. Sunday morning services are traditional in format, together with a quarterly joint ecumenical service with two local Parish Churches.
The present church building was built in 1879 but there has been a Methodist presence in the village even longer. Membership is eleven with some 30/40 on the community roll. A largely elderly congregation, but the small band of worshippers has a significant profile within the community through a variety of well supported regular activities.
- Minister – Rev Ken Chalmers – 01206 545253 – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Senior Steward – Mrs Judith Fletcher – 01206 241969
- Link Newsletter – Mr Andrew Wilks – 01206 242511 – email@example.com
- Hall Bookings – Mr David Kay – 01206 243574
- There will no longer be services in our Methodist Chapel in West Bergholt on Sunday mornings. Sunday morning services will take place at Mile End Methodist Church at 10-30am. Transport will be available, leaving the village at 10.00am. If you would like a lift please contact Judith (01206 241969) or Andrew (01206 242511).
- Our Fellowship Group meets monthly on the 3rd Wednesday at 2.30pm in our Hall, Chapel Lane, CO6 3EF. There is an annual program of a variety of invited speakers and activities. All are welcome.
- We hold monthly Coffee Mornings in our Hall on the 2nd Wednesday of each month from 10.00 to 11.30. Coffee or tea and a biscuit 50p. There are homemade cakes, bric-a-brac and card stalls. All are welcome for a relaxing social occasion.
- There are Coffee & Craft mornings for young families during the school holidays. These take place on Monday mornings in our Hall, Chapel Lane, CO6 3EF, from 10.30 to 12.00. Charge of £2-50 per family. Coffee and cakes for parents and children included. Six different craft activities on a theme for the morning. Closes with Bible story linked to theme.
- There are Silver Sunday Afternoon Teas on occasional Sunday afternoons from 3.00 in our Hall, Chapel Lane, CO6 3EF, supported by the local Scout group. Aimed at elderly members of community, particularly those who are lonely and isolated. We have worked with local Churches, Care Network, Parish Council, Essex Community Agents , Colchester Borough Homes and Age UK to try and reach target audience but still feel there are more we could reach out to if we could make contact.
- Our new Bible Study Book Club meets every third Wednesday of the month at 10:30 am in our hall. All are welcome.
Worship at Mile End at 10:30 am (except as noted)
- July 14th Rev Sue King with Communion. Action for Children Sunday.
- July 21st Local Arrangement
- July 28th Anne Worker
- Aug 4th Rev Ron Smith with Communion
- Aug 11th Local Arrangement
- Aug 18th Mr Jonathan Sparkes
- Aug 25th Mr Ron Firmin
If you would like to come to any of our services, or any other church activities, but would need a lift, please phone 01206 242511 or 241969.
- Coffee Morning
The next Coffee Mornings will be on Wednesday 10th July and 14th August from 10:00am – 11:30am in the Church Hall. Gifts for Cake and General Stalls would be appreciated. Books and greetings Cards will be on sale.
The next Fellowship group meeting will be at 2.30pm on Wednesday July 17th. This will be a Garden Party at the home of Judith Fletcher, 85, Albany Road. If the weather is not kind we will meet in the Hall, if in any doubt phone Judith (241969) on the day. All are welcome. There will not be a Fellowship meeting in August.
- School Holiday Activities
We will be providing fun activities for young families (children please bring an adult along) at our Coffee and Craft mornings during the school holidays. These will take place in the Church Hall from 10.30 – 12.00 on July 29th and Aug. 12th. Donations of cakes will be appreciated. For further details phone Andrew (242511).
- Monthly Mid-week Informal Worship
Please join us for our monthly mid week informal worship activity in our hall on the first Wednesday of the month at 11.00am. The next such event will be on August 7th led by Mrs Rachel Allen. All are welcome.
- Bible Study Book Club
There will not be any Bible Book Club meetings in July or August. We will resume in September.
Hire the Hall
Our Methodist Church Hall is a separate building from the Church and is reached from Chapel Lane, CO6 3EF. The Hall is available for hire with kitchen, disabled access and toilets and parking facilities. All enquiries please to Mr David Kay 01206 243574.
Our newsletters are available below.
- July & August 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- December 2018 / January 2019
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- July / August 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- December 2017 / January 2018
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- July / August 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
We also have a page on the village website.