|Where are we?||Service Times||Who are we?|
|Contact us||Regular Activities||Forthcoming Events|
|Hire the Hall||Newsletter||Village Website|
From 1st September 2019 the Methodist Churches at Mile End, Boxted and West Bergholt have amalgamated to form The Well Methodist Church. They will be worshipping together at the former Mile End church building, whilst they pursue the vision of a new church plant in the nearby Chesterwell neighbourhood centre.
There will continue to be events and activities in West Bergholt.
For more Information please see The Well Methodist Church page.
METHODIST CHURCH CHANGES
After 139 years of Methodist Ministry in our Chapel in West Bergholt, and after much prayer and discussion among our members, a decision was made to cease Sunday worship at the end of August 2018. With an ageing congregation and numbers falling we have sadly decided that it is no longer reasonable to continue regular Sunday morning services. The Colchester Circuit will be marketing the site for sale from September. We will continue our activities in the hall, as part of our outreach in the village, for as long as we are able.
However, we are starting a new venture a mid-week worship activity on the first Wednesday of each month. This will take place at 11.00 in our Church Hall, Chapel Lane. The first of these was on September 5th 2018 led by our Minster, Rev Ken Chalmers. All are welcome to join us and try out this new approach.
We have been accepted as a class of Mile End Methodist Church and look forward to sharing worship there. This will enable us to retain our identity as West Bergholt Methodists and keep our local fellowship together. As a worshipping community we have been attending other Methodist churches in the Circuit on a Sunday morning. This will continue from September 2018, principally to Mile End, and transport will be available. Details from Judith (01206 241969) or Andrew (01206 242511).
Where are we?
West Bergholt Methodist Church, 73 Chapel Road, West Bergholt, Colchester,
There will no longer be services in our Methodist Chapel in West Bergholt on Sunday mornings. Sunday morning services will take place at Mile End Methodist Church at 10-30am. Transport will be available, leaving the village at 10.00am. If you would like a lift please contact Judith (01206 241969) or Andrew (01206 242511).
We are starting a new venture; a mid-week worship activity on the first Wednesday of each month. These will take place at 11.00am in our Church Hall, Chapel Lane led by our Minster, Rev Ken Chalmers. All are welcome to join us and try out this new approach.
Who are we?
We are a group of Christians from different backgrounds, meeting to share in worship, learning, fellowship and service to others.
We are in a growing village (population circa 3,500), popular with commuters (nearness to North Station) but distinct from Colchester, being separated by A12. The church is situated in the centre of the village. Sunday morning services are traditional in format, together with a quarterly joint ecumenical service with two local Parish Churches.
The present church building was built in 1879 but there has been a Methodist presence in the village even longer. Membership is eleven with some 30/40 on the community roll. A largely elderly congregation, but the small band of worshippers has a significant profile within the community through a variety of well supported regular activities.
- Minister – Rev Ken Chalmers – 01206 545253 – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Senior Steward – Mrs Judith Fletcher – 01206 241969
- Link Newsletter – Mr Andrew Wilks – 01206 242511 – email@example.com
- Hall Bookings – Mr David Kay – 01206 243574
- There will no longer be services in our Methodist Chapel in West Bergholt on Sunday mornings. Sunday morning services will take place at Mile End Methodist Church at 10-30am. Transport will be available, leaving the village at 10.00am. If you would like a lift please contact Judith (01206 241969) or Andrew (01206 242511).
- Our Fellowship Group meets monthly on the 3rd Wednesday at 2.30pm in our Hall, Chapel Lane, CO6 3EF. There is an annual program of a variety of invited speakers and activities. All are welcome.
- We hold monthly Coffee Mornings in our Hall on the 2nd Wednesday of each month from 10.00 to 11.30. Coffee or tea and a biscuit 50p. There are homemade cakes, bric-a-brac and card stalls. All are welcome for a relaxing social occasion.
- There are Coffee & Craft mornings for young families during the school holidays. These take place on Monday mornings in our Hall, Chapel Lane, CO6 3EF, from 10.30 to 12.00. Charge of £2-50 per family. Coffee and cakes for parents and children included. Six different craft activities on a theme for the morning. Closes with Bible story linked to theme.
- There are Silver Sunday Afternoon Teas on occasional Sunday afternoons from 3.00 in our Hall, Chapel Lane, CO6 3EF, supported by the local Scout group. Aimed at elderly members of community, particularly those who are lonely and isolated. We have worked with local Churches, Care Network, Parish Council, Essex Community Agents , Colchester Borough Homes and Age UK to try and reach target audience but still feel there are more we could reach out to if we could make contact.
- Our new Bible Study Book Club meets every third Wednesday of the month at 10:30 am in our hall. All are welcome.
Worship at The Well – Mile End at 10:30 am (except as noted)
- Oct 6th Rev Ken Chalmers with communion
Oct 13th Mrs Joanne Eckersley
Oct 20th Rev Ken Chalmers
Oct 27th Local Arrangement
(N.B. British Summer Time ends – do not forget to put your clocks back one hour.)
If you would like to come to any of our services, or any other church activities, but would need a lift, please phone 01206 242511 or 241969.
- Monthly Mid-week Informal Worship
Please join us for our monthly mid week informal worship activity in our hall on the first Wednesday of the month at 11.00am. All are welcome.
- Coffee Morning
The next Coffee Mornings will be on Wednesday 9th October from 10:00am – 11:30am in the Church Hall. Gifts for Cake and General Stalls would be appreciated. Books and greetings Cards will be on sale.
- Bible Study Book Club
Our Bible Study Book Club meets every third Wednesday, next meeting Wednesday 16th October at 10.45am at Sylvia & Andrew’s home, 76, Mumford Road. All are welcome.
Our next meeting will be at 2.30pm Wednesday 16th October Speaker – Mr Andrew Merchant from BBC Radio Essex Sunday Breakfast Team talking on “Faith on BBC Essex “. All are welcome.
- Circuit Study day
There will be a Circuit Study Day on Saturday 19th October at The Ark, Highwoods from 9.30am to 4.00pm. The theme for the event is “Courageous Conversations”. This is in response to the Methodist Conference encouraging local churches to join in the deliberations on “Human Relationships”.
- Half term Activities
We will be providing fun activities for young families (children please bring a parent along) at our Coffee and Craft morning during half term. This will take
place in the West Bergholt Methodist Church Hall, Chapel Lane from 10.30 – 12.00 on a date to be decided, either Monday October 28th or Monday November 4th. Donations of cakes appreciated. For further details phone Andrew (242511). All are welcome.
- Quiz Night
On SATURDAY 9th November, Yes another one!
But please note that this time the quiz will be held in The Well Methodist Church Hall, Nayland Road, Myland, CO4 5ET at 7pm.
TABLES OF FOUR at £20 – Light Refreshments will be served. You are welcome to bring your own nibbles and soft drinks (sorry no alcohol allowed). Book your table by contacting JUDITH (01206 241969)
- Remembrance Day Service
Sun. Nov. 10th in the Orpen Hall at 10.45am.
- Christmas Coffee Morning
In the church hall on Sat. Nov.30th – at 10am.
- Gift and Parade Service
Sun. Dec.1st – at 11am in the Church Hall.
Hire the Hall
Our Methodist Church Hall is a separate building from the Church and is reached from Chapel Lane, CO6 3EF. The Hall is available for hire with kitchen, disabled access and toilets and parking facilities. All enquiries please to Mr David Kay 01206 243574.
Our newsletters are available below.
- October 2019
- September 2019
- July & August 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- December 2018 / January 2019
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- July / August 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- December 2017 / January 2018
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- July / August 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
We also have a page on the village website.