|Where are we?||Service Times||Who are we?|
|Contact us||Regular Activities||Forthcoming Events|
|Hire the Hall||Newsletter||Village Website|
From 1st September 2019 the Methodist Churches at Mile End, Boxted and West Bergholt have amalgamated to form The Well Methodist Church. They will be worshipping together at the former Mile End church building, whilst they pursue the vision of a new church plant in the nearby Chesterwell neighbourhood centre.
There will continue to be events and activities in West Bergholt.
METHODIST CHURCH CHANGES
After 139 years of Methodist Ministry in our Chapel in West Bergholt, and after much prayer and discussion among our members, a decision was made to cease Sunday worship at the end of August 2018. With an ageing congregation and numbers falling we sadly decided that it was no longer reasonable to continue regular Sunday morning services. The Colchester Circuit is marketing the site for sale .
We will continue our activities in the hall, as part of our outreach in the village, for as long as we are able.
Where are we?
West Bergholt Methodist Church, 73 Chapel Road, West Bergholt, Colchester,
There will no longer be services in our Methodist Chapel in West Bergholt on Sunday mornings. Sunday morning services will take place at The Well Methodist Church, Mile End at 10-30am. Transport will be available, leaving the village at 10.00am. If you would like a lift please contact Judith (01206 241969) or Andrew (01206 242511).
We have started a new venture, a mid-week worship activity on the first Wednesday of each month. This takes place at 11.00 in our Church Hall, Chapel Lane, usually led by our Minster, Rev Ken Chalmers . All are welcome to join us.
Who are we?
We are a group of Christians from different backgrounds, meeting to share in worship, learning, fellowship and service to others.
We are in a growing village (population circa 3,500), popular with commuters (nearness to North Station) but distinct from Colchester, being separated by A12. The church is situated in the centre of the village. The present church building was built in 1879 but there has been a Methodist presence in the village even longer.
The small fellowship has a significant profile within the community through a variety of well supported regular activities.
- Minister – Rev Ken Chalmers – 01206 545253 – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Senior Steward – Mrs Judith Fletcher – 01206 241969
- Link Newsletter – Mr Andrew Wilks – 01206 242511 – email@example.com
- Hall Bookings – Mr David Kay – 01206 243574
- Our Fellowship Group meets monthly on the 3rd Wednesday at 2.30pm in our Hall, Chapel Lane, CO6 3EF. There is an annual program of a variety of invited speakers and activities. All are welcome.
- We hold monthly Coffee Mornings in our Hall on the 2nd Wednesday of each month from 10.00 to 11.30. Coffee or tea and a biscuit 50p. There are homemade cakes, bric-a-brac and card stalls. All are welcome for a relaxing social occasion.
- There are Coffee & Craft mornings for young families during the school holidays. These take place on Monday mornings in our Hall, Chapel Lane, CO6 3EF, from 10.30 to 12.00. Charge of £2-50 per family. Coffee and cakes for parents and children included. Six different craft activities on a theme for the morning. Closes with Bible story linked to theme.
- There are Silver Sunday Afternoon Teas on occasional Sunday afternoons from 3.00 in our Hall, Chapel Lane, CO6 3EF, supported by the local Scout group. Aimed at elderly members of community, particularly those who are lonely and isolated. We have worked with local Churches, Care Network, Parish Council, Essex Community Agents , Colchester Borough Homes and Age UK to try and reach target audience but still feel there are more we could reach out to if we could make contact.
- Our new Bible Study Book Club meets every third Wednesday of the month at 10:30 am in our hall. All are welcome.
Worship at The Well – Mile End at 10:30 am (except as noted)
- Dec. 15th Rev Ken Chalmers with communion
- Dec. 22nd Rev Alan Jenkins
- Dec. 22nd Rev Ken Chalmers Carols at 4.00 pm
- Dec. 25th CHRISTMAS MORNING SERVICE with
Rev Ken Chalmers at Highwoods at 10.15
- Dec 29th Mr Alan Beesley
- Jan. 5th Rev. Ken Chalmers COVENANT SERVICE
- Jan. 12th Rev Paul Howes
- Jan. 19th Rev Lynsey Heselgrave
- Jan. 26th Mrs Jo Eckersley
If you would like to come to any of our services, or any other church activities, but would need a lift, please phone 01206 242511 or 241969.
Our next meetings will be at 2.30pm Wednesday 18th December. Christmas carols and tea. Then Wednesday 15th January. All are welcome.
- Coffee and Craft
We will be providing fun activities for young families (children please bring a parent along) at our Coffee and Craft morning during half term. This will take
place in the West Bergholt Methodist Church Hall, Chapel Lane from 10.30 – 12.00 on Friday 20th December (note the change of date). Donations of cakes appreciated. For further details phone Andrew (242511). All are welcome.
- Join us for Carol Singing
We are looking for volunteers to sing Carols:-
We will be outside the Co-op store on Friday December 20th from 6.15-7.30pm. More voices are always welcome so please come and join us. We will be raising funds for Action for Children. Followed by coffee and mince pies.
If anyone is able to come then please speak to Andrew.
- Monthly Mid-week Informal Worship
Please join us for our monthly mid week informal worship activity in our hall on the first Wednesday of the month at 11.00am. There will be no mid-week service in January, we will resume in February. All are welcome.
- Coffee Morning
The next Coffee Morning will be on Wednesday 8th January from 10:00am – 11:30am in the Church Hall. Gifts for Cake and General Stalls would be appreciated. Books and greetings Cards will be on sale.
- Bible Study Book Club
Our Bible Study Book Club meets every third Wednesday, next meeting Wednesday 15th January at 10:45am for an 11:00am start, at Sylvia & Andrew’s home, 76, Mumford Road. All are welcome.
Hire the Hall
Our Methodist Church Hall is a separate building from the Church and is reached from Chapel Lane, CO6 3EF. The Hall is available for hire with kitchen, disabled access and toilets and parking facilities. All enquiries please to Mr David Kay 01206 243574.
Our newsletters are available below.
- December 2019 / January 2020
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- July & August 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- December 2018 / January 2019
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- July / August 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- December 2017 / January 2018
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- July / August 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
We also have a page on the village website.